To buy a vacuum chamber cost $400-$500 bucks on Amazon, but I’ll show you how to build one yourself for under $30!! You can do fun science experiments to see how things react inside of a vacuum. This can also be used as a foodsaver. You’ll have full viewing since the vacuum chamber will be totally glass. With a few basic items you can build this in less than an afternoon and you can make it with a chamber that is small or as large as you want. When using a refrigeration compressor, zip tie a rolled up piece of sock or material to arrest any oil vapour that may come out. These compressors work by circulating a small amount of oil through the system, and when used in this manner, create a small amount oil vapour.
NOTE: A LOT OF COMPRESSORS DON’T HAVE REFRIGERANT IN THEM AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE BEING DISCARDED BUT MANY HAVE REFRIGERANT IN THEM. CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL HVAC GUY ON HOW TO HANDLE THE REFRIGERANT. ALWAYS DISMANTLE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.
HERE’S A LIST OF STUFF YOU’LL NEED
1) Piece of scrap wood for the base 3/4″” (19mm) or thicker, no splits or rough grain and as flat as can be.
2) 2 pop bottles from the re-cycle bin with lids to make the release valve
3) Vacuum gauge, this you may have to buy, a cheapy is fine.
4) Vinyl tubing, relatively inexpensive.Will usually be one of 2 sizes on the compressors. 3/16″ I.D (4.7mm). or 1/4″ I.D. (6.3mm)
5) Refrigeration compressor. Hunt the neighbourhood on garbage day for anyone throwing away a fridge, freezer, de-humidifier, window a/c unit, or bar fridge. It’s possible the compressor you rob from the unit will be bad, but they are usually fine in most cases.
(you may have to check with your local HVAC guy to see how to release the refrigerant if it has any in the discarded freezer , fridge,de-humidifier, bar fridge, window a/c unit) always wear safety glasses!!
6) A glass dome .Use a mason jar, pickle jar, large size jar, flower vase, pretty well any cylindrical glass container will do with a nice flat top edge.
7) silicone baking sheet. Hunt around. The dollar store sometimes sells these at a cheap price.
8) If you want to do electrical testing use 14/2 house wiring.
9) Tube of silicone caulking, any colour, cheapest you can find.
CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO ON HOW TO WIRE UP A SCROLL COMPRESSOR:
VISIT MY CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE HERE:
8 COOL EXPERIMENTS IN THIS CHAMBER:
VISIT MY CHANNEL and SUBSCRIBE
MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Post time: Apr-17-2018